[mythtv-users] Possible Cheap Frontend

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 23:06:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> Such deals on used/refurbed/off-lease machines are common. For another $50
> you
> can get more RAM, a DVD-RW drive and a hard drive.
>
> In fact, if the machine has an XP COA it might be the cheapest way to get
> an
> XP license (if you wanted one). I'm not sure if that's legal, I guess you'd
> have to read the license the machine was shipped with. I think it would be
> legal to use XP on a machine originally sold with it, not sure about moving
> it to another box.

As somebody who's had several run-ins with MS and their licensing stickers,
I know a thing or two about a thing or two:

The XP COA sticker on the machine is good only for that machine. Their OEM
licensing is such that the stickers are non-transferable and must live with
the computer. Could you move the sticker to another box? Physically,
probably... Legally, no. You could also use that number to install XP
(Providing you had the exact same OEM version) on another system, but
technically you'd be breaking the MS agreement.

IANAL and can't say if this would hold up in court... Just speaking from
experience.