[mythtv-users] Possible Cheap Frontend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jul 14 15:26:03 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 14 July 2009 09:13:14 Allen Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 6:17 AM, Jeff Wormsley<daworm at comcast.net> wrote:
> > If you have a PCI nVidia card laying about, this might make a good low
> > end frontend:
> >
> > http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SAMBA845V-24-4-R&cat=SYS&cpc=HPM
> >
> > Here's an old review:
> >
> > http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/display/fic-samba1845.html
> >
> > Definitely not a screamer, but what do you need for a frontend (if the
> > video card can do the work)?
> >
> > Jeff.
> >
> > --
> > I haven't smoked for 2 years, 10 months and 3 weeks, saving $4,780.87 and
> > not smoking 31,872.47 cigarettes.
>
> I have a system using a P4-2.4 and use it to watch ATSC OTA HD.  Just
> barely works with some quirks for sure.  But it does work.  Nice to
> know how much my systems are worth though :)

Such deals on used/refurbed/off-lease machines are common. For another $50 you
can get more RAM, a DVD-RW drive and a hard drive.

In fact, if the machine has an XP COA it might be the cheapest way to get an
XP license (if you wanted one). I'm not sure if that's legal, I guess you'd
have to read the license the machine was shipped with. I think it would be
legal to use XP on a machine originally sold with it, not sure about moving
it to another box.

Of course, with lease deals, the machine might not have had an individual
license, being covered by some sort of site license.

But for Myth and other Linux purposes, it's immaterial.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org