[mythtv-users] LiveTV conflicts with scheduled recording - despite unused tuners on the same box!

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Jul 13 06:10:29 UTC 2009

Justin Smith wrote:
> I've never understood why MythTV schedules the input card along with the
> show to be recorded. Why not just schedule the recording ahead of time, and
> then pick the best available input "live", i.e. when the recording is about
> to start?

Because it can make a difference in scheduling.  For example, I have two
inputs, one of which gets only analog cable channels 2-34, and the other
of which gets all the channels.  If MythTV has two shows that run at the
same time on upper channels, it has to know ahead of time that it will
have to find a later showing of one of them.  Without differentiating
between inputs it wouldn't be able to "plan ahead" for the necessary
schedule shuffling.