[mythtv-users] Failed HD-PVR recordings

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 16:18:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM, David Engel<david at istwok.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:44:26AM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
>> My failure rate for recording from my pair of HD-PVRs is probably
>> around 1 out of every 500.  I recorded every Wimbledon tennis episode
>> over the previous two weeks, and did not have a single problem.
>
> Johh, which kernel, V4L drivers and HD-PVR versions are you using?  I
> haven't kept exact numbers, but I suspect I'm averaging around 1.5 to
> 2.0 stop/restart cycles per hour.  It used to only be a minor nuisance,
> but with the playback handling getting worse as I described in an
> earlier message, it's become a major annoyance.

I am running the latest 2.6.27-fedora10 kernel, with hand built HD-PVR
drivers from linuxtv.org.  Latest HD-PVR firmware.

Two HD-PVRs hanging off of a Gigabyte EP45 motherboard.  Directv H2x
STBs controlled via USB.

When I got my first HD-PVR, I tried using it with an old P4
motherboard, and had lots of problems.  I believe they were related to
the USB controller on that motherboard.  Going the the P45 motherboard
fixed all that.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.