[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 04:43:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Harry Devine<lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I know this is off-topic, but I figured someone here would know.  My Myth
> MBE (Mythbuntu 8.10 x86_64) seems to be in a really bad state right now.  It
> was fine last night, but tonight I noticed that when I was SSH'd in, I was
> getting errors suddenly about the file system being read-only.  So I figured
> I'd reboot.  When I did, I got some messages about having to run fsck
> manually, and every service that tried to start would error out saying that
> the service user didn't exist (like "www-apache" for example).
>
> I was able to get the box to come up in rescue mode and I ran the fsck
> option that came up.  When I did, I started seeing errors like the
> following:
>
> ata1.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x6 SErr 0x90202 action 0x3 frozen
> ata1.00: irq_stat 0x01400000, PHY RDY changed

This is a hardware error on SATA bus. Could be cable, SATA controller
on the motherboard, or the electronics on the drive.
The only way to test it is by exclusion: replace the cable, see if
anything changes. Then either replace the disk or put this disk into
another PC, depending on what you have available. See if if the
problem follows the disk or the motherboard. Could also be bad power
supply, if you have a spare supply you can plug it in (don't even have
to install it, just connect the cables).

Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net
http://wild-light.com