[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 8 01:31:24 UTC 2009

I know this is off-topic, but I figured someone here would know.  My
Myth MBE (Mythbuntu 8.10 x86_64) seems to be in a really bad state right
now.  It was fine last night, but tonight I noticed that when I was
SSH'd in, I was getting errors suddenly about the file system being
read-only.  So I figured I'd reboot.  When I did, I got some messages
about having to run fsck manually, and every service that tried to start
would error out saying that the service user didn't exist (like
"www-apache" for example).

I was able to get the box to come up in rescue mode and I ran the fsck
option that came up.  When I did, I started seeing errors like the
following:

ata1.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x6 SErr 0x90202 action 0x3 frozen
ata1.00: irq_stat 0x01400000, PHY RDY changed

There may have been more on the lines above, but that was all I could
see on my screen.  I did some Googling and saw that those have something
to do with the SATA bus, but nothing seemed to point to any known
solutions or debugging techniques.

Is my motherboard toast?  Has one of my hard drives failed? Any ideas on
what I should do to fix this?

Thanks,
Harry