[mythtv-users] Analog input from HDTV Wonder under Fedora 11

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Jul 7 04:19:51 UTC 2009

On 07/06/2009 11:53 PM, Harry Orenstein wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Jarod.
>
> On Monday 06 July 2009 23:30:06 Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> On Monday 06 July 2009 23:21:34 Harry Orenstein wrote:
>>
>> lirc_serial, correct? 2.6.29.6-211.fc11 or some such thing *should* get
>> pushed to updates soonish, which carries the fixage.
>
> Actually, lirc_i2c.  I think you posted a note elsewhere that there is a buffer
> overflow problem that was fixed in CVS.

Oh, that one. :) Yeah, that's fixed in the same kernel (actually, in an
earlier kernel.

/me curses out-of-tree modules... and self for not getting lirc sent
upstream again yet...

>> In semi-related news... lirc_i2c is broken as all hell with 2.6.31 at
>> the moment...
>
> I guess my (formerly) secret plan to move to mce-usb is well-timed.  ;-)

Heh, yes, indeed. I've made some progress on lirc_i2c + 2.6.31, but
still not quite there yet. It compiles, it loads, it sees the right
device type, registers with lirc, etc., but irw isn't reporting seeing
any output at all, and I wind up (mostly) wedging the box when irw exits...

I'd have to say lirc_mceusb and lirc_imon are probably by FAR the most
solid lirc drivers right now.

>> See /etc/modprobe.d/dist-oss.conf
>
> Just noticed that right before I read your reply.  I uncommented the line.
> Haven't rebooted yet nor tried to see if OSS screws up Pulse.

 From what I recall, it doesn't always, but it can. There's a thread
about it somewhere in the fedora-devel-list archives, started by Warren
Togami, iirc (or at least, he was heavily involved in it, as was Lennert
Poettering, the main guy behind pulse).

> I'll post back
> if I hit any snags.  Are you aware of any plans to drop OSS from Myth so this
> doesn't remain an issue?

I know nothing one way or the other, I'm afraid. Of late, making sure
things still compile and run is about as much as I've had time for, have
only very loosely been following the commits list, and have been almost
completely ignoring the devel list. For the most part, my head is
completely buried in kernel code these days, but at least most of what
I'm hack on in my own time is code that benefits MythTV. :)

> BTW: based on the topics of my post, I anticipated you might reply.  It brings
> me comfort to know that the universe works in the way I hoped.   ;-)

Yup, hook, line and sinker. I tend to read any email that mentions
Fedora or lirc in its subject much closer than others... Anything else
is hit and miss on whether it sparks enough interest to actually read
it, otherwise, I just can't keep up. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com