[mythtv-users] LiveTV conflicts with scheduled recording - despite unused tuners on the same box!

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 12:10:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Mike
Perkins<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Yeechang Lee wrote:
>>
>> Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> says:
>>>
>>> LiveTV isn't implicitly bad, there are many channels where recordings
>>> make no sense other than watching it live: sport and news channel
>>> being the 2 most obvious categories.
>>
>> As Mike Dean advises, record them too. Otherwise, one is missing out
>> on the ability to skip commercials (or skip to commercials, when
>> dealing with the Super Bowl).
>>
> So... you recorded 9/11 to watch it later? There *are* occasions when you
> want to watch something as it happens. Like the moon landings, for example
> (3:30 am here in the UK. I was one of the few with a TV. My room was crammed
> with other hostel dwellers).
>
> I agree that myth is primarily a dvr, but that's the way that development
> has been emphasised lately. The "myth" in myth is from "mythical convergence
> device", and we would do well to remember what it is we're supposed to be
> converging: live tv is one of those functions, and our tv habits go back to
> the fifties.

Why is it that nearly every time somebody mentions using LiveTV, we
get the same voices telling the individual "YOU ARE USING MYTHTV
WRONG!"?  How in the world is that helpful?

I use LiveTV all the time, and, frankly, would go a different route
for my DVR if iMyth didn't support it.  I'd rather change DVR software
than have to pay monthly for yet another cable box.