[mythtv-users] gentoo, latest mythtv - mythfrontend has no text

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jul 1 21:24:47 UTC 2009

On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:38 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 01 July 2009 10:04:56 Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> On 07/01/2009 10:30 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
>>> I could spend $400 if I had to, but lately it seems I have more fun
>>> "eking out an extra 1% by optimizing the bejeesus" out of older
>>> hardware.
>>
>> There's definitely something to be said for that if it interests
>> you and
>> you have the time for it.
>
> Well I'm retired, so I have the time.

Aha, yeah, that helps. Far from retired, and my wife and I have a 7
year old son, an almost 4 year old daughter, and a 10 month old foster
daughter. Free time is a long-forgotten pleasure. ;)

> Notice how MS is trying its best to stop Linux on the Netbooks
> (running ads
> that talk about Windows netbooks as "the OS you know").
>
> I do "know" it, and that's the reason I avoid it like the plague.

Yeah, Asus jumping into bed with them on that campaign is most
annoying after they started out reasonably stong with Linux
netbooks... Not to mention this all involves pimping an ancient
version of Windows... :(

> You can pick up Opteron 275s for around $60, if you want to upgrade
> that dual
> 252 machine relatively cheaply.

Saw 'em at geeks.com the other day, and its mighty tempting, but like
you, I'd like slightly faster dual-cores.

> I love my PB G4 (running Linux, of course). I think those were the
> pinnacle of
> the Apple notebook line, follow on units just had feature and size/
> weight
> bloat.

Mine has Fedora and Mac OS X on it, but spends far more time in Mac
land. -- my wife is actually its primary user these days, I have a
ThinkPad T61 for my primary mobile computing (with nothing but Linux
on it -- on an Intel X25-M drive, dead-silent, low-power, lightning
fast).

> For some perverse reason I like running non-Intel CPUs, I have a
> couple of Alphas, some MIPS, ARM and other "exotic" machines.

Itanium, sparc and ppc64 is typically as exotic as I get. The ppc64
YDL PowerStation is a fantastic toy. My Itanic and sparc toys are less
fun, they're older and damned slow...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com