[mythtv-users] gentoo, latest mythtv - mythfrontend has no text

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jul 1 15:57:35 UTC 2009

On 07/01/2009 10:09 AM, Phill Wiggin wrote:

> But, let's face it.. "a mere $400" isn't exactly chump-change. For an
> aweful lot of folks, there's no _way_ they're going to be able to just
> toss out $400 to pick up new hardware.

True, there would be that. But this is for an HDTV-capable frontend. A
modern-ish SDTV-capable frontend is less than half that. Not that $200
is chump change either. But at least in my case, I have precious little
free time to waste on relics -- I now have three small kids with
exponentially increasing demands on my time, so buying something new
that Just Works vs. spending hours and hours trying to coax some old
clunker into working is a no-brainer for me.

> If you can breathe life into an
> older system by taking a little compile-time, you can resuscitate and
> old under-powered machine and possibly get more use out of it.

I give these types of machines away via my local LUG list. :)

> I'm a Gentoo user and I buy hardware more often than I should. (And $400
> still isn't "a mere" amount of money for me.)  The above argument may
> not exactly apply to me... But it does apply to many.

Admittedly, I'm also spoiled. I make pretty decent money doing a job I
love, and the job comes with the benefit of hardware vendors routinely
throwing new hardware our way, so anything that doesn't have several
cores and several GB of RAM feels old and clunky to me anymore. :)

(We've has 16-way Nehalem-based Xeon boxes in our lab for ages now, got
'em months before even the first core i7 was shipping...)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com