[mythtv-users] Just a bit more juice Re: VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jan 28 03:56:49 UTC 2009

Speaking of VDPau.   My HD frontend is a now old P4-3ghz system with an
AGP slot in an SFF case.   Looks and works fine, plays HDTV just fine, but
sadly starts to groan under the weight of some h264 encoded HD videos.  So I
have to watch those at one of my computers, which while they have even
higher resolution screens, they are not 46" with a couch.

There were rumours of Geforce 8 possibly coming out on AGP.   With vdpau,
that might solve my problems.

But I see no sign of it.

Otherwise, it's a sad situation.   SFF systems don't readily support
motherboard upgrade to get a mobo with either faster CPU or pci-e slot.
There's only one PCI slot and it has a tuner card, so the PCI based
cards are out, if they would work.

So it seems I leave myself within one inch of near system replacement ...
mobo, cpu, video card, ram, power supply, case -- preserving only keyboard,
dvd and hard drive.   What a shame to just squeeze out a bit more power.

Or are there some other tricks for getting those x264 videos to play
smoothly on the P4-3ghz with 6200 video card?  (I could upgrade the 6200
card to a 7xxx series card, but I doubt that would do anything.)