[mythtv-users] Hardware databases

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Jan 27 16:45:53 UTC 2009

On Jan 27, 2009, at 8:24 AM, Brian Phillips wrote:

> I've been stewing with an idea and I was wondering if it has been
> implemented/shot down already...
>
> I see a few sites spring up and hope to be databases of Myth
> compatible
> hardware.  I haven't really found one that I'd consider the vault of
> Myth
> hardware knowledge, and it's really something that could be easily
> remedied.
>
> My idea is this:
> 1) When myth is installed, the user is asked if they would like to
> opt-in to
> a "hardware survey".
> 2) After a specific time frame has passed (eg 100 hours recorded and/
> or
> watched), if the user has selected to opt-in to the program, the
> myth system
> will "phone home" to a database and provide a hardware listing.
>
> It could be as transparent as just sharing the hardware list, but it
> could
> be as extensive as hardware list, load averages, key settings, and
> then a
> section available for the user to comment on their system.
>
> I know there's a stigma around programs contacting their producers,
> but if
> this were done in an open fashion, and no "lucrative" data were
> shared, I
> think it would help out greatly in these hardware database efforts
> that
> always seem doomed from the beginning.  I know I would opt-in to
> something
> like this.  It would also be valuable as a documented statistic of
> users'
> hardware.  This could be persuasive to hardware manufacturers if it
> can be
> shown that a large portion of their customer base is associating with
> MythTV.
>
> Just my two cents...

I think the wiki is an appropriate place to put hardware that is known
to work. If you start adding a database, you discourage people from
adding new hardware to the wiki which is where people should first
look to see if a certain piece of hardware is compatible. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Hardware

Secondly, you end up with a database full of hardware wether it's
working correctly or not. Some people might be using a video card that
works great for their purposes but would fail for someone else
(thinking OpenGL vs. someone who doesn't use OpenGL at all) or someone
who uses a capture card, but doesn't use a particular tuner, etc.
Someone might have hardware installed and even configured, but they're
not using it because it doesn't work for some reason or another. If
you automatically collect data, there is no known which data is good
and which is bad.

Thirdly, someone has to maintain this database, bandwidth, etc. It
just seems like a lot of work for little benefit. Please add to the
wiki if you've got a piece of hardware that works great for you and is
not already listed there.

I just don't see this bringing great value without a lot of likely
negative issues.

-Brad