[mythtv-users] Hardware databases

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Tue Jan 27 16:24:36 UTC 2009

I've been stewing with an idea and I was wondering if it has been
implemented/shot down already...

I see a few sites spring up and hope to be databases of Myth compatible
hardware.  I haven't really found one that I'd consider the vault of Myth
hardware knowledge, and it's really something that could be easily remedied.

My idea is this:
1) When myth is installed, the user is asked if they would like to opt-in to
a "hardware survey".
2) After a specific time frame has passed (eg 100 hours recorded and/or
watched), if the user has selected to opt-in to the program, the myth system
will "phone home" to a database and provide a hardware listing.

It could be as transparent as just sharing the hardware list, but it could
be as extensive as hardware list, load averages, key settings, and then a
section available for the user to comment on their system.

I know there's a stigma around programs contacting their producers, but if
this were done in an open fashion, and no "lucrative" data were shared, I
think it would help out greatly in these hardware database efforts that
always seem doomed from the beginning.  I know I would opt-in to something
like this.  It would also be valuable as a documented statistic of users'
hardware.  This could be persuasive to hardware manufacturers if it can be
shown that a large portion of their customer base is associating with
MythTV.

Just my two cents...

Brian