[mythtv-users] Performance with intel GMA3100

Adam Stylinski kungfujesus06 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 01:34:27 UTC 2009

Hmm sadly an extra video card would add too much to the already increasing
cost.  On top of that, many of the mini-itx chassis that support expansion
cards to pretty much adapt the PCI traces to be a horizontal slot only exist
for PCI.  I would need both a PCI slot and a PCI-Ex slot.  I suppose I could
use this already X300, will it tear if I use that instead (and of course fix
the video timing issues you have with vertical sync)?  In the mythtv wiki
there's an try about how to better utilize the RTC for timing, it fixed many
problems I had with my current rig (7600 GT, where OpenGL Vsync of course
doesn't work at all with newer nvidia drivers).  The tearing issues ought to
go away when correct EDID data is sent back to the card and you have
deinterlacing going (1080i signals are supposed to give you tearing on
progressive scan TV's).

I guess what everybody else's experience is is simply that an atom processor
probably won't be enough to decode HD, even with the X2.  I feared this,
I'll probably need to invest in a mini-itx Core2 board (essentially what the
mac mini's used).  Sadly mini-box has some of the greatest deals this week
but it looks like that hardware is worthless for HD :(.