[mythtv-users] OpenGL profile using over 100% CPU

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 02:05:19 UTC 2009

Hi Mark

2009/1/22 Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com>:
> OK - so that didn't work. After a lot more testing, I think I might
> have the right answer :)
>
> Try adding this to the filters entry in your video profile:-

Unfortunately, trunk was so unusable for me (and with wife sighting
all the time), I reverted to 0.21-fixes

Main issue with with the mythvideo plugin, none of my HD rip can be
played anymore and the sounds is often completely out of whack.

Currently working on backporting your VDPAU changes to 0.21, I only
started, don't know how feasible it is yet.

> opengloptions=nofinish
>
> This blocks the final glFinish call at the end of frame rendering and
> dramatically reduced the load on my box.
>
> I initially thought this might be because we are now setting the swap
> interval (a relatively new addition to the code) but adding:-
>
> opengloptions=noswap
>
> doesn't have the same effect.
>
> In reality there is probably a sweet point in setting the above two
> options, enabling opengl vsync and your OpenGL synctovblank setting
> (in nvidia settings) - and that sweet spot will almost certainly vary
> between hardware vendors and definitely varies between nvidia driver
> versions.
>
> Anyway, see if that works or not...

I'll try to set a testing box in the mean time in order to help you there...

How can VDPAU do such a nice job deinterlacing compare to say OpenGL
hardware deinterlacer?
With VDPAU, mpeg2 1080i video is just perfect ; no slight flicker or
scintillating text/lines. Currently it's the Australian Open tennis,
and it's very obvious with the white line marking on the ground.

VDPAU made such a nice job there, was very impressed.

Thanks again
Jean-Yves