[mythtv-users] OpenGL profile using over 100% CPU

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 01:37:40 UTC 2009

2009/1/21 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> 2009/1/21 Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com>:
>> After a quick bit of testing, it looks like there could be issues with
>> the opengl vsync - load increases with it compiled in and increases
>> even more if it is enabled. Can you try compiling without opengl-vsync
>> enabled? (it's not enough to simply disable it in the gui)

OK - so that didn't work. After a lot more testing, I think I might
have the right answer :)

Try adding this to the filters entry in your video profile:-

opengloptions=nofinish

This blocks the final glFinish call at the end of frame rendering and
dramatically reduced the load on my box.

I initially thought this might be because we are now setting the swap
interval (a relatively new addition to the code) but adding:-

opengloptions=noswap

doesn't have the same effect.

In reality there is probably a sweet point in setting the above two
options, enabling opengl vsync and your OpenGL synctovblank setting
(in nvidia settings) - and that sweet spot will almost certainly vary
between hardware vendors and definitely varies between nvidia driver
versions.

Anyway, see if that works or not...

Cheers

Mark