[mythtv-users] Why doesn't 'delete recording' actually mean 'delete recording'?

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 16:29:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Phill Wiggin <alamar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lots of great info there, thanks Mike.
>
> But, I have to disagree with depending on how you use Myth:
>
>> Really, though, there's no need to delete recordings when you get low on
>> space.  Just ensure that you have some (sufficient number) of them set to
>> allow autoexpire and Myth will take care of getting rid of them for you, but
>> not until you need it to.
>>

> For instance, I tend to keep quite a few shows recorded and don't want them
> to expire, but there are others that I'm fine expiring.  At any given time,
> I don't know of an at-a-glance method of seeing how many and which files
> will autoexpire.  (I can look in a few places to gather this information,
> but it's not something that's "just there".) I much prefer knowing precisely
> how much I can record before I'll start 'losing' (expiring) shows.

In the front end go to system status and there is section for auto-expire
list. It shows what shows will auto-expire, the size of the file, and it
list them in the order that they will expire. If there is anything on the
list that you don't want to expire, just go to that recording and disable
auto-expire for that recording. If you are referring to a single number for
the amount of space that will be freed up by auto-expired recordings, that
doesn't make very much sense. In my case all of my recordings would
eventually be removed, since I have everything set to auto-expire by
default.