[mythtv-users] What's a good projector for Myth?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 23:08:32 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/3/1 Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com>

> Thanks to everyone for your experience and advice.
>
> I didn't see any Myth-specific comments, like "avoid this-or-that projector
> because it just doesn't work!", so I can probably continue with generic
> projector research.  (But maybe someone here can tell me what on earth you
> get in an $8000 projector compared to one in the $2000 range.)

check www.projectorcentral.com
it's one of the best source of information when it comes to projector..The
two most recommended so far are the Epson 6500UB and the Panasonic AE3000

I'm convinced that I should do 1080p rather than 720p because of the
> pixelization.  But I don't buy the argument that SD sources will show more
> pixelization, since either Myth or the projector will be converting to the
> projector's native resolution.  For that reason I don't see more jaggies in
> SD programs on my 720p TV; instead, I see a fuzzier image.  Surely it's the
> same with a projector.
> \

Having a 1080p projector won't make much (any) difference when watching a
DVD or SD programs. How could it?
Actually, I found that my PT-AE900 (720p) DVDs looked slightly better than
my PT-AE2000 (1080p).

The whole upscaling thing that all manufacturers keep pushing is IMO mainly
a marketing exercise on how to convince people why they should replace an
otherwise perfectly good DVD player.

> I am very worried though about the ambient light issue.  This is a living
> room with high ceilings, lots of windows, and potentially letting lots of
> light in from other areas of the house.  The image would be projected onto
> some built-in bookshelves, so a pull-down screen is necessary.  I wonder if
> any projector/screen combinations would make this acceptable.

If you take a cinema projector (like the two I mentioned above) you will
want to have a room that you can potentially make pitch black. I had
electric roller shutter installed in my room for that reason.
Those projectos can be make quite bright ; but this will be at the detriment
of the picture quality and the dark level.
A projector can't have good black level and make a very bright picture at
the same time

If you plan on using the projector in a room which is very bright and want
to watch stuff like sport ; then I suggest that you get a presentation
projector ; the black level and quality won't be as good as a cinema
projector ; but those are designed to be bright and be used under most
circumstances.