[mythtv-users] building and maintaining seek tables for videos in mythvideo

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 06:13:16 UTC 2009

I have been reorganizing my video library. I am moving a lot of stuff
into mythvideo. I have material that I transcoded on a windows
machine. I rip and transcode most of my DVDs on my windows machine. As
I have been playing stuff in mythvideo with the internal player, I
have seek problems, where it skips forward or back an unpredictable
amount of time. Sometimes the skip works fine and sometimes not in the
same video. I assume this is because these videos don't have seek
tables. In searching the archives and wiki it seems that using
mythcommflag with the --video option is the solution. Some posts in
the archive suggested this was only effective or necessary for mpeg2
files. Is that true or is it necessary to build a seek table for all
video files? Most of my stuff is transcoded to xvid and x264 and are
in avi or mkv containers. And if so what is the best way to do this in
mass for my whole video library? Will I need to write some script to
crawl my folders and do all the videos, or is there something already
available? In the future will I need to remember to go to the command
line and run mythcommflag each time I add a video from outside of
mythtv or is there some way of automating this process?