[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Feb 27 03:22:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 09:31:51AM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/2/27 Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com<brad%2Bmyth at templetons.com>
> >

> > Hmm.  I tried using "Interlaced" with opengl -- I had not been aware
> > that there were extra deinterlacers with opengl -- and all I get
> > is:
> >

> Did you try adding the extra opengl deinterlacers and fixes written by Mark
> Kendall for 0.21 fixes ?
> http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/
>
> (my vdpau patch include those opengl mod)
>
> I had written a little report a while ago about those ; testing them all.
>
> I too would get errors like:
> 2008-10-20 21:46:44.999 Failed to approve 'opengldoubleratekerneldeint'
> deinterlacer
> 2008-10-20 21:46:44.999 Couldn't load deinterlace filter
>
> but don't pay attention to them ; they are properly loaded but later on.
>
> This is the video profile I would use with either my 9400GT or the 8600GT:
> <= 720
> standard Max CPU 2
> opengl opengl2
> Yadif (2x,HW)
> Kernel HW
>
> > 720
> Standard MaxCPU 2
> opengl opengl2
> Kernel (2x, HW)
> Greedy High Motion
>
> I had great result with those ; 2nd best after VDPAU
>
> Deinterlace with opengl:
> LinearBlend (HW): 27% CPU, 82.2% idle, weird pixels are on during scrolling
> on text, not too smooth
> OneField (HW): 24%, 86.9% idle, rather smooth but it's obvious lines are
> missing
> Kernel (HW): 27%, 83% idle, no obvious interlacing artefacts, but text
> scrolling not perfectly smooth
> Bob(X2, HW): 42% CPU, 76% idle, smother than kernel  but obivious
> interlacing artefacts (odd line more displaced than even on scrolling text)
> LinearBlend(2X,HW): 56% CPU, 72.2% idle, very smooth scrolling text, but
> weird pixels in text
> One Field(2x, HW): 50%, 74.5% idle, smooth scroll, but like OneField(HW),
> lines are missing, also like linearblend, some pixels in scrolled text
> Kernel(2x, HW): 69% , 63% idle, smooth text, no obvious interlace artefacts
> ; slight flickering
> After about 1 minute or so, CPU will jump to 116% usage for mythfrontend,
> 40% idle
> If using one core only for decoding, usage is 116% and 33.8% idle
> Interlaced (2X,HW), 38%, 81.2% idle, smooth text, interlacing artefacts
> Yadif(2x, HW): 119%, 43.8% idle, lost frames seems to be a video at 3
> frames/s at best. unwatchable
> Yadif(hw): 114% CPU, 44% idle, like Yadif(2x,hw)
>
> Linear Blend: 35% CPU, 81% idle. Text not perfectly smooth just okay slighly
> jerky
> Kernel: 31%, 84% idle, similar to linearblend, less jerky but slight blur on
> scrolling text
> Greedy High Motion: 45% CPU, 75% idle, scroll slightly jerky
> [...]

What CPU are you using here?    If you can add some observations to
the  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Deinterlacing
page that would be handy.    Of course we don't want to have everybody report
particular cpu loads for every mode on every cpu and GPU.   The goal is to:

    a) Sort the interlacers in terms of quality.
    b) Get some concensus of how much CPU and GPU is needed to use each
       deinterlacer to decode 1080i.

Ideally a person can read it and say, "Ok, I have opengl and a 3ghz P4, so I should
        use either deint X or perhaps deint Y on my 1080i"

I guess helping people with their 480i is good too but I hope modern systems
can do even the heavy deinterlacers on 480i.

The sort order you suggest is:

Worst to best:

            Onefield
            LinearBlend
            Kernel
            Bob
            Interlaced
            Greedy
            Yadif

With HW being a good ideal generally in opengl, and with 2x good if you can do it.

Thoughts?

Put them on the wiki too if you have hard facts