[mythtv-users] Rolling back Nvidia driver -- there has to be a better way

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 23:29:48 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>>
>> Allen Edwards wrote:
>>>
>>> I noticed the other FE system I have, which has almost identical hw, uses
>>> 169.12.  Googled and was sent to the nvidia site but that driver was not
>>> there.
>>
>> Not completely understanding your problem, but is this any help?
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_169.12.html
>>

> No, I got there and I found some drivers but I can't install them because
> the nvidia install program complains about any setup of my system that I
> know how to get into.  It wants a level 3 non X command line and my system
> will go into X if I tell it to go to level 3 and the Nvidia driver will not
> install from my level 1 command line that I get into from restore mode.  I
> can't kill X because it just comes back.  Is that clearer?
> Allen

If you want to kill X do

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

the gdm daemon, if running, will restart X and bring up a logon screen
(or autostart probably under mythbuntu), the key is to stop the gdm
daemon.

once you have finished your commandline work run

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start