[mythtv-users] alsa spdif works with myth but not xine, aplay or mplayer

Al McIntosh al at allanmcintosh.com
Sat Feb 21 20:01:53 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Al McIntosh <al at allanmcintosh.com> wrote:
>
>> This is likely getting old... but hey I am hoping this is an easy
>> configuration item I am missing.
>>
>> Alsa digital and analog audio passthrough both work well on mythbuntu with
>> the following:
>>
>> Audio output device: ALSA:spdif
>> Passthrough output device:ALSA:IEC958{ AES0 0x02 }
>> Max Audio Channels: Stereo
>> Upmix: Passive
>>

>> However, I'm having a difficult time getting other apps to pass non-dts
>> audio through to my amp.
>

> I am assuming you want all your applications to go to your spdif port.
> If so, you need to change asound.conf to this and get rid of everything
> else in the file:
>
> pcm.!default {
>  type plug
>  slave.pcm "spdif"
> }
>
> There are a couple of other configurations that will work as well which I
> describe in this wiki.
> See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=AllensDigitalAudioHowto
>
> Allen

Allen,
  Yes you're correct, I want to route all sound through spdif.

I did not have an asound.conf and apparently this was my issue. Until
recently, I was getting by with *only* ~/.asoundrc. When I ran `apt-get
update` on my system to support mythtv SVN for hdpvr and VDPAU non-DTS audio
stopped working for mplayer and xine.

1. I created asound.conf as you suggested and removed  ~/.asoundrc.
2. `/etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart` did not help, so I rebooted.  Now xine
and mplayer both work for regular pcm audio.

I really appreciate you and everyone taking the time to post.

Al