[mythtv-users] alsa spdif works with myth but not xine, aplay or mplayer

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 16:46:52 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Al McIntosh <al at allanmcintosh.com> wrote:

> This is likely getting old... but hey I am hoping this is an easy
> configuration item I am missing.
>
> Alsa digital and analog audio passthrough both work well on mythbuntu with
> the following:
>
> Audio output device: ALSA:spdif
> Passthrough output device:ALSA:IEC958{ AES0 0x02 }
> Max Audio Channels: Stereo
> Upmix: Passive
>

> However, I'm having a difficult time getting other apps to pass non-dts
> audio through to my amp.

I am assuming you want all your applications to go to your spdif port.
If so, you need to change asound.conf to this and get rid of everything
else in the file:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "spdif"
}

There are a couple of other configurations that will work as well which I
describe in this wiki.
See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=AllensDigitalAudioHowto

Allen