[mythtv-users] Looking for Dual Head Help

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 18:37:48 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Allan, thanks for posting your xorg.conf.  This almost exactly matched
>> my current setup.  I made a few tweaks based on your post, but I'm
>> still not getting it to work properly.  Yes, I can get the frontend to
>> display on the HDTV like I want, but when I switch mouse and keyboard
>> control back to the primary display I can't figure out how to return
>> them to the MythTV display when I need to.  What am I missing here, or
>> is this simply the way it works?
>

> I just move the mouse onto the display I want and click it.  That moves the
> focus back to that screen.  I have seen scrips that do this so you could set
> up a button on the remote to accomplish it.  You can't see the mouse on the
> myth display and if you don't move it far enough you might hit a key but if
> you move it all the way over it should be OK.
> Allen

This is exactly how it works for me with Xinerama enabled, and how I
want it to work without Xinerama, but it simply isn't behaving like
this.  If I start the frontend on the the HDTV display the keyboard
follows.  However, once I return to the primary display I then lose
any ability to get back to the HDTV display.  I can slide the mouse
off the primary display and onto the HDTV display but clicking in that
window does not return the focus there.  This is the part that is
driving me crazy.

How important are the metamode option lines in your Xorg.conf?  They
are essentially the only difference that I am seeing between your
xorg.conf and my current one.  I thought metamode only setup the size
of the screen, and I am letting the nvidia driver auto-detect the
size.