[mythtv-users] OT: A question on the HD-PVR and non-HD content

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 15:49:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/2/19 John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com>:
>> resolution.  So, 480i can be configured to use a much lower bitrate
>> than 1080i, since the extra bits will not help the picture quality.
>>

> A bitrate is independent on the resolution being used ...
> it just indicate how much compressed (lossy) the video is.

True.

> So I fail to see how those "extra bits" won't help the picture quality
> because it's 480i and not 1080i

By that logic, we should all be using 16,000,000 x 9,000,000 pixel
resolution, since it would not take any more bits to make it look
good.

As you go up in resolution, if you maintain the same bitrate, it has
to become more lossy.  As you go down in resolution you can maintain
the same level of lossy, with a lower bitrate.  Right?

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?