[mythtv-users] How big CF card for frontend?

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 06:18:37 UTC 2009

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Tom Lichti <redpepperracing at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I use an 8GB USB flash drive on my frontend, with a full MythDora
>> 10.21 install, and SVN myth trunk repository, I am still only using
>> about 2.5GB. I paid a bit extra for a faster than normal drive (OCZ
>> Rally Turbo) and it seems to work fine.
>
> Looking at prices, USB flash drives are certainly cheaper than CF or SDHC.
>
> Does that mean you have an ugly thumb drive sticking out the back of your PC?

Not necessarily.  I had one of these attached to my keyring for ages:
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-P-FD2GBMIC-FS-Micro-Attache-Flash/dp/B001IDYIRE
It's barely bigger than the usb slot itself.
It's not alone in that size range either - e.g.
http://i.gizmodo.com/362901/pqis-intelligent-stick-flash-drives-are-tiny-waterproof-dust+proof

The tiny ones do have a price premium over the bigger 'n' uglier ones
though.

cheers,
Owen.