[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause

Jay Summet jay at summet.com
Sat Feb 7 20:57:46 UTC 2009

Yan Seiner wrote:
> I got one of those new gen HD HomeRuns.  Serial 1016*.  I have 2
> antennas, directional, at 90 deg to each other.  Each antenna is run
> directly to one tuner.
>
> I'm having problems with one station.  It comes in at ether 93 or 96%,
> depending on the antenna.  That one station is getting horrible
> reception.  The stations with 58% signal strength are doing great.  The
> station I'm having trouble with came in perfectly with the PCHDTV-3000
> card.  Here's a log file of tuning that station.  Why would it affect
> just one station, and one with the strongest signal at that?  No
> amplifiers at all; just a straight shot from a rooftop antenna to the HDHR.

Try looking at the signal to noise ratio.

#Example of a tuner not locked to anything.
$ hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF get /tuner0/status
ch=none lock=none ss=0 snq=0 seq=0 bps=0 pps=0

#Example of a good signal.
$ hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF get /tuner1/status
ch=8vsb:539000000 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=92 seq=100 bps=19394080 pps=1370

SS = signal strength, or what MythTV displays. SNQ is a better metric of
how good the signal is.  Also, SEQ should be as close as possible to 100
(100 means no loss, less means you are dropping packets).

I used to have problems with stations that had a signal strength of 100%
but a low SNR. I used Skywalker brand attenuators to reduce the signal
strength and keep the overly strong signal from overwhelming my  [1st
gen] HDHomerun tuners, as mentioned by Brian.

However, as your signal strength is less than 100, I don't think your
signal is so strong as to be overwhelming the tuners. My suggestion: If
your SNR is lower than 80, try repositioning one of the antennas
radically (30-90 degrees) to see if that changes anything for your
"problem" station.

Jay