[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Feb 7 19:26:04 UTC 2009

On Saturday 07 February 2009 11:46:55 Yan Seiner wrote:
> I got one of those new gen HD HomeRuns.  Serial 1016*.  I have 2
> antennas, directional, at 90 deg to each other.  Each antenna is run
> directly to one tuner.
>
> I'm having problems with one station.  It comes in at iether 93 or 96%,
> depending on the antenna.  That one station is getting horrible
> reception.  The stations with 58% signal strength are doing great.  The
> station I'm having trouble with came in perfectly with the PCHDTV-3000
> card.  Here's a log file of tuning that station.  Why would it affect
> just one station, and one with the strongest signal at that?  No
> amplifiers at all; just a straight shot from a rooftop antenna to the HDHR.

If that signal strength really does represent RF level (and not the BER) it
might be that you have a strong signal close in frequency. An example would
be channel 6 and a strong local FM station, or channel 7 and a strong local
airport beacon or other high-band VHF source (probably not two-way radio, as
those tend to be intermittent, not constant).

It would take a spectrum analyzer to really know what's going on, but the raw
RF energy does not always represent the strength of the desired station, it's
a combination fo all the energy on that frequency and nearby.

What happens if you attenuate the signal so the problem station gives you a
58% level? That would tell you if the problem is purely signal strength or
something else.

--
beww
beww at beww.org