[mythtv-users] Sony leads the charge to disable analog outputs

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Feb 6 15:36:27 UTC 2009

Yup, because we can't capture from HDMI. It's possible, just kind of
expensive right now. And it only takes one person to do it and put it on the
net. I'm getting to the point that I think we need to change copyright a
bit. You get government legal protection, OR you get technological
protection. Not both. Copyright is supposed to be a trade. We get public
domain works after a time, they get legal protection for their work. It it
were a little more balanced, people might actually respect it more.

Not that it's really been at all balanced for decades, but push hard enough
that the average joe starts getting annoyed by it, and we might start seeing
people get upset. It happened with music, "PlaysForSure" anyone? :)

I love that they think this stuff will even slow down the real "pirates".
This is the group that reverse engineers things like consoles so they can
create modchips. And like I said, it only takes one person to crack it.