[mythtv-users] Playback setting confusion

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Fri Feb 6 02:02:29 UTC 2009

On Feb 5, 2009, at 8:46 PM, Phil Wild wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been really struggling with trying to get consistently smooth
> 1080i playback for broadcast TV. I am in Australia so I believe it is
> all MPEG2 (DVB-T).
>
> I have:
>
> AMD AM2 5000+ 2.6GHz dual core CPU
> nVidia 8300 onboard chipset
> Motherboard is Asus M3N78-EM and I have 2GB RAM
> mythbuntu 8.10 x86_64
>
> I have a sep backend which is Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz with 1TB hard
> drive for video and 80GB system disk. I am using XFS for the video
> disk
> .
> I have gigabit ethernet between the two devices.
>
> I am running the video into a 1080P panel via on-board HDMI.
>
> What choices should I make in the video playback section of mythtv in
> relation to interlacing methods, opengl etc etc?

I have almost the same mb (M3N78-VM with nVidia 8200) and propcessor,
but only running with 1G ram. I have had no problems with playback of
HD content on 1080. I would first make sure you have the Nvidia
drivers installed from their website. Also another thing that helped
me in the past was to stream from the backend, not from a smb or nfs
mounted share. I have tried other settings off and on and nothing
really caused any problems. Make sure you have 256MB video buffer
enabled in the bios. I currently use CPU++. I had a problem in the
past with a different mb where the cpu would throttle back because of
heat and would cause stutter.

- James