[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 22:03:58 UTC 2009

Mike Perkins wrote:

>>FCC cert yes, but you can avoid the UL cert by using a UL approved
>>external power-supply.
>>
>Ugh. I dislike those things because they suck power 24/7. At least
>with a proper built-in power supply you go down to standby power or
>less when you're not sat in front of the box.

Err, in many designs, the internal supply still sucks power when
off/standby (especially standby which isn't actually off). External
supplies do not, contrary to popular belief, suck the same power
whether you draw it or not - modern switch mode supplies tend to take
very little when there is no load.

It's a complete myth that a (say) 60W power supply takes 60W from the
mains when the load is less than that, or off altogether.

--
Simon Hobson