[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Feb 6 10:49:10 UTC 2009

Simon Hobson wrote:
> Mike Perkins wrote:
>
>>> FCC cert yes, but you can avoid the UL cert by using a UL approved
>>> external power-supply.
>>>
>> Ugh. I dislike those things because they suck power 24/7. At least
>> with a proper built-in power supply you go down to standby power or
>> less when you're not sat in front of the box.
>
> Err, in many designs, the internal supply still sucks power when
> off/standby (especially standby which isn't actually off). External
> supplies do not, contrary to popular belief, suck the same power whether
> you draw it or not - modern switch mode supplies tend to take very
> little when there is no load.
>
> It's a complete myth that a (say) 60W power supply takes 60W from the
> mains when the load is less than that, or off altogether.

Maybe - but I have seen laptop power bricks that supply 60W when in use, and 7W
when not in use (ie unplugged from the laptop). Ditto phone chargers. If you've
got an external supply, how do you tell it to go into standby mode, when it's
only a 2-wire connection? Most of the integral power supplies in my PCs are down
to milliwatts when powered off but not unplugged. I can live with that.

--

Mike Perkins