[mythtv-users] mplayer scaling

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 20:49:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Captain Krypto <captainkrypto at gmail.com> wrote:
> This might be a little OT, but I figure that lots of mythtv users are using
> mplayer and might know the answer.
>
> Here is the problem:
>
> I have a video file that has a resolution of 936x528 that I am trying to
> play on my LCD TV with a resolution of 1366x768.  I thought that since both
> the video and screen aspect ratios are 1.77 that mplayer would "upconvert"
> the video to fill the entire screen.  However, I am getting black bars on
> the top and bottom of the screen no matter what I do.  I've tried lots of
> different mplayer options (crop, aspect, etc), but I still can't get the
> desired results of the video filling the entire screen.  Here is my current
> mplayer command:
>
> mplayer -fs -zoom -vo xv -vf scale=1366x768
>
> I've been google'ing for the last two days... maybe I don't know what I
> should be looking for.
>
> Any advice, solutions, comments are appreciated.

Are you sure the video isn't encoded with black bars? ie if it is,
say, a cinematic ratio of 2.35:1 someone may have encoded it to 16:9
by adding bars to top and bottom?

Also the file may have its own idea of what its aspect ratio should
be. What does the output of mplayer say about it? Theres usually a
line or two that says what it is scaling from an to.

The best way to see mplayer's output is to ssh in to the myth machine
from your laptop as the same user as runs mythfrontend then do:

export DISPLAY=:0
mplayer ... etc