[mythtv-users] Are there any throttling features in Mythtv?

William william_munson at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 22:46:37 UTC 2009

Mike Perkins wrote:
> As for how is mythtv supposed to know that my system can't handle 3
> (actually 4), but your can handle > 8, that's straightforward. Have a
> limit such that # of input + # of output streams <= # of tuners as a
> default, with it being a backend setup field that can be adjusted by
> the user as experience of the system improves. Again, just a thought
> idea.

Off topic but the simple and to me, obvious solution is to purchase
another hard drive and split the recording load across 2 spindles rather
than complicate things even more with yet another message popping up on
the screen. The WAF factor would drop even more if she found out that
she cannot watch her favorite show until later due to system load.

The setup I use is a pair of sata drives dedicated to recordings and a
pair of pata drives for the OS, sql database and all the videos and
music. No issue recording 3 and watching 2 at the same time. My only
issue performance wise is that I dont have enough processor to do
everything I want. Once the new VDPAU driver stabilizes a bit more that
should remove the last of the cpu hogs.

Bill