[mythtv-users] Are there any throttling features in Mythtv?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 02:05:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> As for how is mythtv supposed to know that my system can't handle 3
> (actually 4), but your can handle > 8, that's straightforward. Have a limit
> such that # of input + # of output streams <= # of tuners as a default, with
> it being a backend setup field that can be adjusted by the user as
> experience of the system improves.

It's not straightforward. Aside from comm flagging and transcoding and
whatever other user jobs are set up, you can't assume that writing streams
uses the same amount of resources as reading streams. You can't even assume
that two tuners use the same amount of resources when writing (consider a
"dumb" capture card vs a card with an mpeg encoder).

Regards,
Steve