[mythtv-users] Must make recent myth trunk with "-j 1"

James Purl convbox at jamespurl.com
Mon Feb 2 18:15:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 02/02/2009 03:20 AM, Allan Stirling wrote:
>> James Purl wrote:
>>> Good evening/night.
>>>
>>> I am sending this to -users first as a "any one else getting this" and not
>>> troubling the devs (as I don't have all the exact error message).
>
> Thank you.
No problem!

[ deletia ]

>> You need a lot of memory to compile Myth. I've seen gcc take over 1.5Gb on
>> some files. If you hit the wrong combination, this could mean over 3Gb
>> used. Post the error message and check your dmesg for an OOM condition.
>
> And, yes, there are reports of "-j x" where x > 1 failing to work properly
> recently, so, just use "-j 1" until using "-j 2" or "-j 4" works for you.  :)
> (I.e. when you see the commit that says something about fixing multiple-job
> compilation or whatever, then try increasing x, again.)
>
> Mike

Thanks for the input, folks.  I have ruled out OOM as the build rig has 6
GB of RAM, and top et al. didn't register any low-mem problems while the
build was going.  At least Mr. Dean has confirmed it's not just me, so I will
continue watching the commit list.  Also, the next time I build I'll see
if I can track it down and attempt to fix it (or at least figure
out what's getting built out of order).

James