[mythtv-users] Must make recent myth trunk with "-j 1"

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 2 17:47:16 UTC 2009

On 02/02/2009 03:20 AM, Allan Stirling wrote:
> James Purl wrote:
>> Good evening/night.
>>
>> I am sending this to -users first as a "any one else getting this"
>> and not troubling the devs (as I don't have all the exact error message).

Thank you.

>>   I custom compile myth SVN trunk using some home-grown debian
>> packaging (ie the "debian" directory) for mythbuntu. I do all the
>> package creation on a Core i7 system.  I have done probably 8-10
>> weekly-ish builds of myth svn, but sometime between r19816 and
>> r19900, something in  the Myth source causes the build to fail if I
>> use "too many" CPUs.  My build process uses the "-j" option with the
>> make command, and this used to work (and fly) on the i7.  As of some
>> version > 19816 and <=19900, something in the libavcodec area causes
>> the parallel build to fail.  I was wondering if anyone more in the
>> know might know what changes I would need to make to my source to
>> enable parallel builds?  I've since just changed my process to do the
>> make with "-j 1" in the meantime, which works fine (albeit much slower).
>>
>> I apologize in advance for lack of information (exact error message,
>> etc.), but I put this out there in case it is a lightbulb moment for
>> someone... Next time I do a build I'll try to get the exact point
>> that compilation stops.  Oh yeah, if I just issue another make after
>> it stops, compilation completes, so I presume its a matter of needing
>> a makefile dependency so that filex.so or filex.a exists before it is
>> needed by source filey.cpp.
>
> You need a lot of memory to compile Myth. I've seen gcc take over
> 1.5Gb on some files. If you hit the wrong combination, this could mean
> over 3Gb used. Post the error message and check your dmesg for an OOM
> condition.

And, yes, there are reports of "-j x" where x > 1 failing to work
properly recently, so, just use "-j 1" until using "-j 2" or "-j 4"
works for you.  :)  (I.e. when you see the commit that says something
about fixing multiple-job compilation or whatever, then try increasing
x, again.)

Mike