[mythtv-users] frontend error messages prebuffer wait timed out

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 23:13:20 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/2/2 Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
> Aggressive Sound card Buffering
> If enabled, MythTV will pretend to have a smaller sound card buffer than is
> really present.  This may speed up seeking, but can also cause playback
> problems.
>
> exists /solely/ for the benefit of people using underpowered frontends that
> can't decode audio quickly enough to keep up with the buffer that Myth
> normally uses, so Myth uses a smaller buffer so it doesn't have to stay so
> far ahead of the video.  Note that decoding audio is easy compared to
> decoding video, so if you have a borderline HDTV setup, this setting will
> not help at all (i.e. the processor savings from using this setting are
> negligible compared to the processor resources required for decoding HDTV
> video).  Therefore, it's only useful for people using underpowered SDTV-only
> systems.  This setting should almost /never/ be enabled (it was really
> designed for use with the early Via systems that were running a < 1GHz).

It does have an advantage... And which is why I enabled it in the first place...

With it active, when I start LiveTV, I will get a lock within 2-3s...
Without it, it will be a full 5s wait each time I change channel...
Way too slow IMO (and it's worse on trunk now, they've changed
something it takes forever now)

> The setting:
>
> Extra audio buffering
> Enable this setting if MythTV is playing "crackly" audio and you are using
> hardware encoding. This setting will have no effect on MPEG-4 or RTJPEG
> video. MythTV will keep extra audio data in its internal buffers to
> workaround this bug.

BTW, with the VDPAU patches added, I must check that setting, Don't
need it when using ffmpeg and opengl rendering

> I guess I should add that to the Prebuffering Pause wiki page, as well as
> the other invalid mythfrontend config that can cause Prebuffering Pauses,
> the "Use video as timebase" setting (which should be disabled, as its help
> text implies).

That would be great yes...

Jean-Yves