[mythtv-users] Why did you pick MythTV VS the other PVRs?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 14:30:39 UTC 2009

I first got into Linux/MythTV back in August 2004.  I had just moved into an
apartment and had been fiddling with a DirecTivo for over a year.  I didn't
have the ability to put up the dish at the apartment (second floor brick
loft with no outside access).  So I was looking around the net for
alternatives.  I found a site that was talking about Free to Air satellite
reception.  Someone on the list mentioned they were using a Linux box to
watch and record his free to air TV.  I kept reading, and saw that they were
using MythTV.  I had a friend who said he was going to try it, so I figured
I could too.  The MythTV.org site was talking about commercial skipping, web
scheduling, video/dvd/cd player, Video Game Emulators and nearly unlimited
storage space.  Those were the big ones that got me into this "hobby."
Plus, I like to geek out (again, that didn't help me in my addiction, lol).
So my system has grown from a single FE/BE to a split system.  From 80GBs of
storage to 2.5TBs in a RAID5.  From Linux/Windows storage to no full time
Windows systems (have an iPhone so need iTunes) in my house.  1 tuner to 4
(two SD, two digital/HD).  Fedora to Ubuntu.
My next step?  Get a better FE so I can actually watch my HD programs
without the video/audio stuttering.  Thanks to VDPAU, I think this is going
to be possible.  Plus, it'd be cool to add a PS3 controller so I can play my
games without needing a cable!  So my thanks to the devs for such a
fantastic, free, product.  And my thanks to the community which has helped
me out SO much over the past 5 years.

Jim