[mythtv-users] Why did you pick MythTV VS the other PVRs?

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 12:41:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 04:36, Tom Sparks<tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Why did you pick MythTV VS the other PVRs?

There was nothing else at the time. At least not where I live :)

The local services (Rogers and Bell) didn't offer PVRs. Tivo wasn't
available here (not sure whether it is now).

I started using MythTV in October 2002. It was version 0.06, I
believe. Configuration was done by editing a text config file, you had
to keep the frontend running to record anything (there was no
backend/frontend separation)... no commercial skipping, no
timestretch... :)

I seem to recall first reading about an "application" to do scheduled
recordings, but it was a collection of shell scripts and I didn't
understand all the v4l and ffmpeg (or whatever) commands needed to
make it do stuff... so I couldn't modify the examples to fit my needs.
Then I discovered Myth. And haven't found any need to try anything
else...

--
aaron