[mythtv-users] Calling All Potential Translators! MythTV needs you!

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 20:02:31 UTC 2009

Dear MythTV Community,

Always wanted to contribute to MythTV but never knew how?  Here's your chance!

As many of you know, we entered feature freeze for MythTV .22 on
Monday, with an anticipated release before the beginning of October.
There's still a lot of work to do, and we have a secondary feature
freeze date on September 7th.  However, if you are fluent in a
non-english language, we would like invite people to begin
translating/updating translations for .22.

For those interested, there may be some minor string changes between
now and September 7th, but the majority of the text should already be
in its final form.  If you have never completed a Myth Translation
before, You can learn about the process here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Translation

We would like to see initial translation patches in as soon as
possible, hopefully by the September 7th final freeze.  From there you
can update the translation as necessary before the release.

If you are considering upgrading, please remember to *BACK UP YOUR
DATABASE MANUALLY* before attempting a switch to trunk.  Various
scripts, distro misconfigurations, and bad pieces of advice have led
to people needing to fix corruption in their database in the move to
.22, so we want to be sure you have a healthy, personally backed up
copy of your database.  It's important that you not rely on Myth's
built-in DB backup, but that you manually do so according to the link
below:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

To all those who will be working on a translation, we thank you very
sincerely in advance for your help.  All of those upgrading to MythTV
.22 and finding that it already supports their native language will
appreciate your efforts.

Robert McNamara