[mythtv-users] Firewire modules do not load

bhaskins at chartermi.net bhaskins at chartermi.net
Fri Aug 21 14:34:09 UTC 2009

---- Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:25:17PM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 August 2009 23:03:59 bhaskins at chartermi.net wrote:
> > > I can't get the modules to load after doing yum install libraw1394.i386 libavc1394.i386
> > > libiec61883.i386 libiec61883-utils.i386
> > >
> > > Should have:
> > >
> > > lsmod|grep 1394
> > >  dv1394                 20728  0
> > >  raw1394                25120  2
> > >  eth1394                19856  0
> > >  ohci1394               32716  1 dv1394
> > >  ieee1394              353144  4 dv1394,raw1394,eth1394,ohci1394
> > >
> > > lsmod|grep 1394 returns a blank line.
> >
> > You yum installed userspace packages. The 1394 module bits are kernel
> > modules, which Fedora doesn't build, because the old firewire stack is
> > a steaming pile. :)
> >
> > > lsmod does show firewire_ochi and firewire_core and dmesg shows these
> > > being added.
> >
> > Yup. That's the expected behavior.
> >
> > > If I try install libraw1394.i386 libavc1394.i386 libiec61883.i386 libiec61883-utils.i386
> > > again I get a message that says they are allready installed.
> >
> > Also expected. You really ought to be all set there with the firewire-*
> > modules though. But if you really think you need the old drivers, you
> > will have to either build them yourself, or find someone who ships a
> > kernel module package containing them. Not sure if atrpms does any more
> > or not.
>
> It doesn't - I thought all firewire issues were a thing of the
> past. But I get more and more request to resurrect the old
> modules. What do you think, should there be legacy modules again?
>
> > Sidebar: why is it that I keep getting firewire cable boxes that Just
> > Work, rather than one with issues that would require me to actually
> > dig into why we still have issues w/some cable boxes... :)
>
> That's the Inverse Murphy Law and anyone would like to trade places
> with you (because everywhere else the normal Murphy Law applies :)
>
> Actually I hadn't had any firmware issues since F10 with the (very
> few, read one) firmware capture devices I have.
> --
> Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
I really tink that I have RTFM on just about everything ( firewire STB ) that I
could find on the web. but..
The more that I read, the more confused I get.
I think the problem here is that much of the documentation on the web is old
and only applies to older distros for example:
///////////
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Edgy_Firewire
///////////
How much of this is even relitive and is there current documentation anywhere?
For example mythprime or firewire tester... are these needed? available?
They don't seem to be in my distro.

Now I will make an offer to anyone on the list:
If someone ( that has a working STB with firewire ) will dictate setup
instructions into a wave file and send it to me , I will do a writeup and test and submit it to the
list for enhancement/correction.
I am retired, and any day that it is to rough to take the boat out for salmon
fishing, I do have a fair amount of spare time.
I am going to try another firewire setup soon using mythbuntu on one of my
desktops.
Mythbuntu was a total failure when trying to install in on any of my many Thinkpads.
It did install OK on two of my desktops.