[mythtv-users] Old ieee1394 modules for Fedora (was: Firewire modules do not load)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Aug 25 07:23:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 09:45:11AM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2009, at 3:08 AM, Axel Thimm wrote:
>>> But if you really think you need the old drivers, you will have to
>>> either build them yourself, or find someone who ships a kernel
>>> module package containing them. Not sure if atrpms does any more
>>> or not.
>>
>> It doesn't - I thought all firewire issues were a thing of the
>> past. But I get more and more request to resurrect the old
>> modules. What do you think, should there be legacy modules again?
>
> I'd have to say no, but then, the new stack Just Works for me, and
> apparently doesn't for others... Note that I think its gotta be
> something cable box dependent, because I've hooked up at *least* six
> different controllers to my cable box using the new stack, and they
> all perform just fine. (Controllers in question would be a Ricoh
> R5C832, a JMicron JMB381 rev b, a Via VT6307, an Agere FW323, a
> Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 and whatever it is on the SoundBlaster
> Audigy. Can't recall if I tried an NEC controller or not. Yes, I
> have a LOT of FireWire cards here...).

Ok, for the sake of ending requests and making a comparison on
devices people claim the old stack works better, there are ieee1394
supplemenatal packages at ATrpms for F11 and the ones for F10 have
been updated as well. For F11 the build yields the following modules

dv1394
ieee1394
ohci1394
pcilynx
raw1394
sbp2
video1394

The packages will *not* blacklist/unload the new stack, you will have
to do that manually.

If there is any evidence that the old stack performs better than the
new one, please consider filing up a report upstream so the juju stack
can be improved and make the old one get removed again. Please
consider comparing against the juju stack in recent kernels
(e.g. prefer comparing on F11 than F10) as the older kernels may have
bugs that have already been fixed.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net