[mythtv-users] ION-based system as combined BE/FE?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 18 17:39:49 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 18 August 2009 10:55:33 Brad Benson wrote:
> I'm considering building a Myth machine for my parents and am wondering if
> an ION-based system will have sufficient horsepower to act as a combined
> BE/FE machine.  It will need to handle recording and playback of both HD
> and SD content from Direct TV as well as commercial flagging, but
> transcoding will most likely never be used.  I also expect that there will
> be very little, if any, use of any of the plugins (MythMusic, MythVideo,
> etc).
>
> This system will, at least for now, be effectively a standalone DVR for
> them.  I'm not sure yet how exactly I'll be getting the content into Myth
> (maybe HD-PVR? maybe just analog capture from RF out of STB (yes, I know
> that's not truely HD, but it's pretty good and they won't know the
> difference))
>
> I am aware of all of the arguments against providing Myth machines for
> those who are not able to administer the machines themselves as well as the
> issues associated with trying to get content into a myth system from STB's.
>  Please no comments on that stuff.  I'm just trying to find out if I can
> reasonably use one of the newer ION boards for this and if it will have
> sufficient horsepower to meet their needs assuming I can overcome the other
> issues.

The only way you would be able to play back HD material, especially h264 from
an HD-PVR, is to use VDPAU, which means either running trunk or using
backports, not something I'd want to wish on non technical users.

Things like transcoding and commflagging would be relatively slow, this may or
may not matter to you.

Don't even consider using the RF output of a STB, use the composite or the
S-Video output.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org