[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Vs. PCIe tuner card?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Aug 17 14:55:54 UTC 2009

On Monday 17 August 2009 08:21:16 James Oltman wrote:

> I would agree with point 2.  I'm not saying it's a bad tuner.  I have had
> problems with the tuners in my HDHR.  I was on the IRC channel trying to
> solve an issue why my $2000 Samsung TV was getting more channels (digital
> music channels) when my HDHR was not.  They attributed the issue to the
> splitters used in my house.  They recommended a particular brand of powered
> splitter.  It's about $100 for 8 ports.  I haven't purchased it yet, as I'm
> waiting for the remodel on my basement first.
> The money and ease of adding it to a Myth install make this tuner my
> choice.

I'm curious which brand they suggested, and why.

A "powered splitter" is simply an amplifier with an attached hybrid splitter.
Whether it is the best solution for you would depend on whether you rally
need an amplifier - you need to know what your actual incoming signal level
is, what the loss in your distribution system is (combined loss of all your
cable and splitting devices) and what level your tuners want to see.

You may need more or less gain than the powered splitted provides, and if you
do not need all eight outputs you would be wasting signal.

Most "powered splitters" have just enough gain to make up for the splitting
loss (7-8 db. for an 8-way unit). If you have good levels without any splits,
and need 8 outputs, the suggested unit might be the best answer for you.

You may also be able to get more signal from your cable company. Some charge
additional for extra splits, some don't, and some are more cooperative than
others. Some areas, especially in high density multi-unit neighborhoods, just
don't have the available signal to give everyone enough level to feed 8
ports.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org