[mythtv-users] mythfrontend hanging w/blank screen

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sun Aug 16 14:44:56 UTC 2009

Mike Kobler wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I've been successfully running mythtv for quite a few years now.
> Recently, we lost power and my machine went down uncleanly (I'm
> assuming, the UPS couldn't keep it running long enough to shut down
> cleanly).  In any case, upon rebooting the machine, everything came
> back up fine, except for the frontend.
>
> It draws the background picture, but no menus, text or icons and hangs
> 'forever'.
>
> Some debugging info.  I'll gladly provide more, as it's easily recreatable.

Something like this happens to me periodically, but it also seems to go
away on its own.  I haven't ever collected detailed information like you
have, because I've always been able to get around it.  For me it seems
to be most related to the video drivers.  Some drivers (nvidia-drivers,
for me) work, and some don't.  If I update the drivers and the menus go
a way, I mask that particular version, let it regress, and things are
back to normal.  Then usually the next update after is acceptable, so
I'm not stuck forever at some particular driver level.

Dale Pontius