[mythtv-users] i586 myth distro?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Aug 15 15:11:17 UTC 2009

On 08/15/2009 12:59 AM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Jarod Wilson<jarod at wilsonet.com>  wrote:
>> On Friday 14 August 2009 22:14:35 Nick Rout wrote:
>>> Is there a distro that is known to work with a i586 processor (as
>>> found in a epia M9000 board)?
>>>
>>> I know LinHES is supposed to be i586 compatible when released, but the
>>> beta/release candidates still seem to be compiled for i686 from what I
>>> can see.
>>>
>>> I know of minimyth and may go that way.
>>>
>>> mythbuntu seems to be i686 and crashes with an unknown instruction (or
>>> something like that) error.
>>>
>>> what other choices are there?
>> Lucky you, you have a Via chip w/o CMOV. Fedora still ships a non-CMOV
>> kernel.i586 as its default installer kernel on 32-bit x86, so Fedora
>> and by extension, MythDora, should work.
>
> Thanks for your reply. I take it you are saying this only matters in
> relation to the kernel? What about other packages?

I was thinking it was just the kernel, but now I'm not sure... Anything
with hand-coded assembly in it that includes a cmov instruction would
potentially be an issue. We were talking about implementing a cmov
trap-and-emulate function in the kernel so that CMOV-less otherwise-i686
systems could continue to function, but nobody seems to care enough to
do it any longer, since there's so few machines this impacts, and most
people who'd be able to write the functionality don't have any such
hardware to even test on...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com