[mythtv-users] Feature request: Send commands to existing mythfrontend session

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Aug 14 04:17:14 UTC 2009

I use the download version of the Apple trailers script, with a few
changes (all mentioned at the Wiki page). One of them is using
'mythtv' as the external player.

While doing this gives me access to the existing mythfrontend
remote-control bindings, it has two disadvantages:

* Calling mythtv is inefficient, since the "real" mythfrontend is
  already running.
* I can't use global keybindings from within the mythtv session to,
  say, jump to Watch Recordings.

It would be nice if mythtv (or mythfrontend) could be invoked with a
command-line switch to tell an existing mythfrontend session to play a
specified file. Bonus points if a playback group could be specified
via command line, too!

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> | San Francisco CA US