[mythtv-users] making my own recording categories

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Aug 13 22:08:46 UTC 2009

On Thursday 13 August 2009, Brad DerManouelian <bderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to be able to create 2 left-side entries: Movies and
> > Recordings,
> > so I can put singular recordings into their own container and get
> > them out
> > of the left-side list. Then I would have
> >
> >  All Programs
> >  Movies
> >  Recordings
> >  episodic program 1
> >  episodic program N
>
> This looks eerily close to Filters or theme-oriented Groups that are
> available but you don't want to use.

It is actually, and that's why I wondered if it could be massaged to do
what I want, but I don't think so. I don't want to just display a selected
category - that's what Filters and Groups seem to do.

> > It would be a bonus if new recordings could be put into their
> > respective
> > category, but I'd be happy to have a way to move them somehow, even if
> > it's some SQL juggling.
> >
> > Thanks for all ideas.
>
> You can use MythVideo for your movies and Watch Recordings for normal
> TV programs. There's even patch that provides a menu item to move
> something from Recordings to Videos. I don't recall exactly where it
> is because I just do it by hand, but I believe it's as close as you
> can get without doing any theme development/code enhancements.
>
> However, you may not want to change from Watch Recordings to MythVideo
> for some reason.

I would like to avoid that - I pretty much live at the Watch Recordings
screen, and I don't often keep what I record so the extra work would not
be worth it.