[mythtv-users] MythDora signin, Mythbuntu dies with just a box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Aug 13 21:23:45 UTC 2009

On Thursday 13 August 2009 14:57:34 bhaskins at chartermi.net wrote:
> I'm not quite a "newbee", I have three myth boxes running
> but this one is really taking me for a ride.
> The box is a Thinkpad A31 with which I hope to be able to just
> capture files from the firewire port on a DCH3200.
> The TP does have the !@#$ ATI video chip but I hope it
> will work as a backend.
>
> Mythbuntu seems to install and then locks up with just a
> empty rectangular box when trying to do the initial setup.
>
> What is the "magic" to signin in to MythDora?
> I've done three installs and I can't seem to find anything that
> it will take.

You are probably better off asking that question on the Mythdora Forums, if
you don't get an answer here.

Did you install the appropriate video drivers? I think Mythdora has a couple
of install options for that.

> Finally, is there anyway to get more than one HD channel
> off cable without having to get a STB for each channel?
> I am not trying to get encrypted channels.

Not if you want to use firewire to capture them, there's only one F/W output
of a STB, and no way to get more than one channel from it at a time, at least
not that I'm aware of.

But you should be able to use other capture methods, since you said "HD" they
would have to be QAM, so an HDHR or a USB type digital capture device should
allow you to record the unencrypted channels.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org